- Meet and interact with more people
- Going where you want to go, when you want to go,
with whomever you want to go with
- Allows you to find your own travel techniques (as
opposed to going with a tour group)
- Forces you to assert your independence
- Traveling alone can be intimidating
- Must overcome any shyness you may have in order
to meet other people
- Deciding where you want to go and what to do once
you are there requires more effort on your part than letting someone else make all
or most of the
- Forces you to assert your independence (this can
be either a pro or a con depending on whether or not you think being independent is
(1) important and (2) possible for your level of emotional growth)
FYI: I traveled solo during my three month
trip to Europe and I had an excellent time. I wouldn't want to travel any other way.
Keep in mind that this advice is coming from someone who is relatively shy and had
never traveled anywhere alone before going to Europe.
Traveling with a companion or
- You always have someone to talk to/consult with
- You can share food, clothing, toiletries,
accommodations, etc. (saving room in your pack and sometimes money)
- You will have someone to share your memories with
(and take your picture in front of the Eiffel Tower)
- You may forge a life long friendship/friendships
with your travel companion(s)
- Being with the same person/people 24/7 can be
very annoying (you could lose your friendship over this)
- Depending on someone else can be risky--people
can flake out on you (take all your money, abandon you, etc.)
- Memories of your trip may turn out to be
nightmares (constant fighting over where to go and what to see, etc.)
- Traveling as group may make it more difficult to
meet other people because groups tend to be prone to exclusivity and can be intimidating
to other travelers
Finding a Companion
If you haven't been able to persuade any of your
friends to join you on your adventure, but you don't think you want to travel solo, then
there are several places on the net where you can find travel companions.
Europe Bulletin Board Find yourself a traveling companion on my new
improved bulletin board. A comprehensive forum is dedicated to helping people
find travel mates.
Connecting: Solo Travel
Network Travel companion ads may be posted free.
their bulletin board is the perfect way to find a companion for your upcoming adventure
Free service to find a travel companion worldwide with similar interests. Post
your personal profile and trip plans.
Travel Mates Find travel companions who share your interests and travel plans.
Search for mates and post your detailed trip plans, personal profile and photo for free.
Travel Companion Find a Travel Companion for your trips by searching through the hundreds of
Travel Companion Wanted advertisements, or by placing an advertisement yourself.
for people interested in bicycle touring.